Monday, April 11, 2016

Love Church

Today I'm enjoying the last day of a three day weekend off work. It's a rainy day and as much as I love Karen Carpenter, I'm not going to let her Monday theology get me down. You young'ns won't likely get that reference. Perhaps you can google it?

What a really beautiful weekend. Scott took me down into civilization overnight to celebrate my birthday early. It was a "whatever you want to do" trip. He gets me. Of course, this basically just translates into us eating ridiculous amounts of amazing food (pancakes, Chinese, Italian and the very best and largest scone I ever saw - oh my!) using as many gift cards as possible (which we did), staying in our favorite hotel which has the most comfortable beds, soft sheets and pillows (loved it), him letting me browse my favorite stores for as long as it takes (even letting me buy a piece of jewelry or six), and visiting a church we've never been to.

I loved every minute. So many times over two days we reaped the blessing of being in the yoke together for almost twenty six years now. We are very different people, but we enjoy many of the same things. Not the least of which is history. Before you go thinking we discussed world history, I meant the history of us. You know -  songs that are no longer played on the radio, jokes that only he and I get the punchline to, and memories. The most painful and the most joyous. If you are married, do whatever it takes to stay together. The good stuff comes with years. The more the better.

Every minute I get to spend with Scott Burtis is to my benefit. It was good just being alone with him, and don't say anything, but I didn't miss the kids one bit!

I mentioned church. We are church people. It wouldn't occur to us to skip church just because we are away.  We love it too much. We need it. There's so much value in seeing what God is doing out in the world in other places through and with other people, even if it's just an hour or two down the road.

As much as I miss hearing Scott preach every Sunday, I do love standing beside him while we worship and sitting close while we listen to the preaching of God's Word.

After the service, when we got into our car and buckled up he asked the question I was waiting for, "So, what did you think?"  

"We've been to four different churches in the last month and this is the one I thought feels the most like us, like we could fit in here."

"Me too. Exactly." High five!

Did I mention how much we love church? A great church experience for me isn't in the friendliness of the people (though I love that) and it isn't always about the style of worship (though I do enjoy upbeat, Spirit-lifting music). The sermon really is the main event.

A few kids at work the other day asked me about church. My response went something like this, "I believe the Bible, God's very words to us, is alive and exciting. It needs to be presented in a contagious, enthusiastic way that invokes a response. When It comes across boring or humdrum, I am annoyed and find it insulting, sinful even."

I can't remember the last time I took notes as feverishly as I did yesterday. Glorious! It was like God was whispering things in my ear that the Pastor wasn't even saying. A wise woman once told me that's a pretty good indicator that the Holy Spirit is speaking.

Sensing the impact and feeling like I was coming alive, I wrote:

The effect of going to church - it either inspires and energizes me, causing an eagerness to get out into my world to tell others how great God is and how He changes lives, starting with mine. 

OR

It uninspires me. Makes me tired, eager to get home, take a nap and hibernate as much as possible until I (have to) go back next week.

I've experienced both. Christians, this should not be.

I want to come out of church having learned something about our Amazing God that changes my life. That challenges and forces me to adjust my comfort zone tendencies to what I've learned. Whether it be confession and repentance of sin or a call to obey a difficult principle or that I am so encouraged by a blessing He has promised that I can't keep my mouth shut about it - any of it.

Sermons are important. One of yesterday's outline points was the command to 'love God with all your mind' (Mark 12:30) and how to do it. The preacher said, "When you became a follower of Christ, God didn't ask you to check your mind and follow Him without thinking. He wants to engage your intellect.

Every time you read Scripture, you are loving God with your mind.
Every time you memorize a verse, you are loving God with your mind.
Every time you grapple with a difficult passage, eager to learn it's meaning, you are loving God with your mind.
Every time you read a Christian book, you are loving God with your mind.
Every time you listen to a sermon, you are loving God with your mind."

Well, there you go. Did you catch the last one?

He also said, "Drifting from the faith and your passion to follow Christ starts in the mind which is why you must know God's Word and have a firm Biblical worldview."

Now that's what I'm talking about! I practically bounced out of there when the final Amen was said.

Taught. Challenged. Encouraged. Yes! That service fit beautifully into a perfect weekend away.

I hope you have a church to not only attend, but be a part of that feeds your Spirit, uses God's Word and man's love to bandage you up after a hard week then send you out into your world again with fresh resolve to get back in the game and make a difference for God's glory.

Because that's the point.

Those coming behind us will take our cues. Let's love church for ourselves - and for them.

No comments: