Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Perfect Winter Day

After a ridiculously warm Christmas week, it finally snowed here in the Adirondacks. It was his last day at home before heading back to college.

It was 30 degrees out with brilliant sunshine. I suggested snowshoeing. It was the perfect day for it.
In case you don't make it up here this winter (which you should), I took some pictures for you.

We started by climbing Oak Mountain right here in town. 

Well, half anyway because one of us was too winded to continue through the steepest part. Must have been the extra layers of heavy clothes. 

But even half way up, we got to see this...

Yes... what I've been waiting for.

He tried to make me feel better saying we still came a solid distance.

Once we, I mean I got my breath back, we decided to squeeze in a hike to the highly recommended Auger Falls trail just a few miles down the road. We were not disappointed. One of us couldn't stop oohing and aahing at every new sight.

What a great path for a winter walk.

We could hear the falls awhile before we could see them.

I'm not sure what we were expecting, but what we saw surpassed all of it.

The sun was hitting it just right.

Reminded me of a few verses from the Bible.

"Have you entered the storehouses of snow?" Job 38:22

"By the breath of God ice is given;
And the broad waters are frozen fast." Job 37:10

"He says to the snow, 'fall on the earth'..." Job 37:6

And one even the those who dislike snow and winter the most have to appreciate: 

"Come now, let us settle the matter, though your sins be as scarlet, I will wash them white as snow." Isaiah 1:18 I get the picture. Amen.

God is absolutely everywhere. You can't miss Him if you're looking, and He has given us all of nature to enjoy. What a gift!

We talked, we laughed, he may or may not have had to help me up once. I even got him to take a few selfies because of his arms, obviously. Every minute spent with Ben Burtis is time well spent.

It was the perfect day. I'm so grateful we got some winter before he left.

No comments: