Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sweet and Sour

Greetings from camp! Today it's pretty chilly on the beach so I write from a building called the Wigwam. It's probably the oldest one here on the property, decorated with 70s, 60s, maybe 50s camp furniture. I kind of dig it. Can you tell why?

Also it's where the wifi works best, so here I am.



The empty nest adventure continues. Our time here is more than half over and we are not ready for it to end. I've loved learning my new job at the Front Desk, not wearing a black polo everyday, eating some meals in the fancy dining room (delicious!), and getting to know this new group of staff.

Laura, Amanda, Jill, Charlie, Amy, Tim (and Leigh, not pictured) won't replace our first loves here, but there's room in my heart for them too. They are patiently teaching me how to know the answer to every question that might come up. For years I've been accused of having an answer for everything (ahem), but clearly I do not. Which means by the time I do learn it all I could be really obnoxious. Let's hope not.

This last week was particularly enjoyable for me because I had lots of visitors. Several of my very favorite people in the world came to town. I even got two breakfasts at my cute little coffee shop. There's nothing quite like the gift of longtime friends some of whom live too far away for frequent face to face visits. These are the ones who know you (and get you), whom you share history with and can pick up right where you left off last time. Important conversations were had and my soul was enriched. It was so sweet.

Only got a picture of these two - our favorite Senegal/now Budapest missionaries.What a treat!
The sour side to being in the second half of the summer is that our new kids are starting to leave. They have to go home, get back to college or find permanent jobs. It's kind of sad. We have become attached to and will miss them.

This one in particularly has a personality the size of the Adirondacks. These pictures tell the story.
When with young'ns, you must say yes to selfies.













 


Sometimes he lets me see what Scott is doing throughout the day.

 And other times he gets you when you're not looking, which means you've got to be sharp at all times. 


The things I love about Adam are how funny he is, how he makes fun of Scott (did I say that out loud?), and how sometimes he skips the chit chat and jumps right into a serious conversation starting with a big question. He's the first to leave and we will miss him. God is going to use Him to bring music therapy to children and maybe the elderly. He is one of a kind. I'm grateful our paths crossed. 










One of my sweet friends brought me a gift which required explanation. She said from her vantage point, God has been sifting and refining (Biblical words) Scott and I these last few years. The dross has come to the surface and been strained away leaving nothing but the fruit. I like that. It's a visual I can appreciate. Sweet and sour, sweet being the last taste in our mouths.

He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  John 15:2

These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.  1 Pet. 1:7

 Reminds me of something I read recently that I hope will encourage you like it has me.

"Never pray for an easier life - pray to be a stronger person! Never pray for tasks equal to your power - pray for power equal to your task.

We must remember that Christ will not lead us to greatness through an easy or self-indulgent life. An easy life does not lift us up but only takes us down. Heaven is always above us, and we must be continually looking toward it. 

Some people always avoid things that are costly, or things that require self-denial, self-restraint, and self-sacrifice. Yet it is hard work and difficulties that ultimately lead us to greatness, for greatness is not found by walking the moss-covered path laid out for us through the meadow...Are you willing to sacrifice to reach the glorious mountain peaks of God's purpose for you?

Be men of courage; be strong. I Cor. 16:13"*

Let's let God do the work of refining, sifting, straining, and maturing in our lives so all that is left is the fruit that brings Him glory. Sweet and sour together, a beautiful, delicious combination.

Today I don't work until 4pm, so I'm off to Arts and Crafts. Have I mentioned how much I love it here?

* Streams in the Desert by LB Cowman Aug. 3

No comments: