Saturday, July 18, 2015

Thoughts from the Elevator Lady

This week here at camp.....I got a new name.

I answered a call to pick up a guest and transport them to their accommodation. When I arrived, I immediately recognized them, having been in a small space with them every morning this week.
They recognized me too, "Hey! We know you. You're the elevator lady."
"Yes, yes I am."
"You drive the golf carts, too?"
"Didn't know I was so talented, did you?"

We've loved another week here. The weather has been practically perfect in every way. Rained only once, at night. Sunshine every day. It did get kind of cold a couple of nights (40 something degrees) but it warmed right up by lunch. I woke up thinking about the guests and how chilly the golf cart ride might be one of those days.  I told Scott, "We need lap blankets for the carts." He looked at me like, well, you can imagine.

Instead of rotating responsibilities this week, our boss gave us permanent jobs. Mine was here. Right where I like to be.
Room for two, maybe three. Fun conversations happen in there. I love these folks.

Because one night I stayed late to finish a project and Scott helped me, we were rewarded with an afternoon off. It just happened to be a gorgeous day and I hoodwinked Scott into doing this.
And yes the boat boy loved taking our picture I'm sure.

Initially Scott didn't want to kayak because he said he'd end up doing all the paddling. You know what I say to that? Husband job.

Still, I did my share. It was windy too, which made it harder. Empty nesting isn't for wimps.

I sent these pictures to the kids so they could see how desperately we are missing them.

They smack talked in the family text.

Scott couldn't respond because he would never take his phone out on the lake.

He only agreed to let me take mine if I agreed to putting it in this.
He's an adventurer, that guy.

Another other off duty adventure.
That's right. When at camp, do arts and crafts. When I heard Camp of the Woods has a kiln and amateurs (me) could have relative success, I showed up. With my crafting buddy.

First project. Before and after. Not bad, huh?

We had fun here when Sandy's daughter Hilary came up.
Have I ever mentioned this is not my favorite game?  Why, you ask? No reason.

That's right, sometimes you have to pull out your pool playing skills.
Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

A few visitors showed up for my day off, which made an impromptu drive up to Word of Life and a boat ride to the Island to see the grandkids necessary. What a treat!
My mother, Ally and our friend Diana
Grandma and Ben (this is his "Mom, I see what you're doing and I'm not going to smile" face. Not the first time I've seen it.)

There's only one down side to having my day off on Fridays. I don't get to see my elevator people one last time and say goodbye. They are gone on Saturday morning by the time I come to work. So sad!

I saved the best part of the week for last. After chapel and a short break for cinnamon rolls and coffee, a seminar is offered. This week Lysa TerKeurst from Proverbs 31 Ministries spoke everyday. Best five hours of my week. I asked if I could monitor that room each day, which made it my job to be there. I got a yes! Even Scott came in one day which was awesome for him to hear who I've been talking about for years. I love when he enters my girl world this way.

You know how you hope that someone you look up to, who happens to be popular and famous, will be kind and genuine and real in person? I got to talk to Lysa a few times this week. Maybe you saw this pic on Facebook or Instagram.


She did not disappoint in any way. I'm so pleased to report that she's more wonderful than you would hope for. Especially the day she invited me to walk her to lunch.

You see, this embarassing thing happened. I tried to tell her some of my story but I couldn't get the words out. I'm sure she was wondering what I was waiting for. Now that I've had time to think about it, I actually blame Lysa. I wasn't star struck. It was her message that morning! It just so happened that the content leveled me about 1/3 of the way through. I was a puddle in my chair, for sure. I wondered if anyone sitting near me would call another Guest Services staff to assist the crying lady.

So you can see how it was all her fault. She was gracious while I croaked and when it was over, I walked away understood and encouraged.

This is something I know. Even when it's hard. Even when it's emotional. Even when it hurts. Even when you break down and cry a little, or a lot in public at your job, it is so important to hear God's Word taught. The tears indicate that the Holy Spirit is working in your heart. Few things I like better than that.

Here are some of my notes:
  • Sometimes God brings us to a place where none of our tricks or plans work. He wants us here.
  • If I want to be a person of faith, I need to live by faith (not require to see everything to believe).
  • Instead of looking at my situation as "Impossible", consider God saying, "I'M Possible". Isn't that good?
Regarding wisdom (these are things we must teach our kids): 
  • When life is pressing in and stressful, we have to watch who we are paying attention to. 
  • Don't pay attention to fools or foolishness. (Social media? TV? Pop culture? News programs?)
  • Wisdom makes decisions today that are still good tomorrow to receive blessing not curses. 
  • If you want to be wise, go where wise people go and do what wise people do. 

Jesus does everything by purpose, on purpose and for a purpose.
  • Consider your life a statue. Let the Master chisel you in every way so you don't get locked into hard places. He wants to produce a masterpiece in you.
  • Let Him chip away everything that doesn't look like the version of you that God wants to get you to.

Regarding olive trees and olives:
  • Olive trees in the Holy Land tolerate east winds that are harsh and brutal. They also enjoy cool, delightful west winds that refresh and restore. Both are needed for fruit bearing.
  • Olives need to be crushed in order to get their fruit - the oil. 
  • They will never be olives again, but the crushing preserves their true value.
  • And so with us. We need both the good times and the brutally hard times in order to bear the best fruit for Christ. 
  • Maybe when we are finally broken and humble we will look totally different. This is not a bad thing. Don't resist it.
There was so much more.


Late in the week, the worship team sang, "If ever I loved you, my Jesus 'tis now".
Yes, most definitely.
I hope you had a beautiful week too and discovered some new things about God that make you love Him more.


PS. Ravi Zacharias will be here tomorrow for the week. I'm already sweating about morning traffic on the grounds.

1 comment:

Dianne Madigan said...

Sounds like you are right where God wants you for the summer.Keep heeding His Word and enjoy every minute of your summer adventure. And I do think the lap blankets would add a touch of class!