Friday, May 8, 2015

Mother's Day Isn't Just For Moms

Sunday is Mother's Day. What does that statement evoke in your emotions?

Is it just another Hallmark holiday or does it mean something more?

I suspect most of us have at least a mild response. I was with a friend today who said she's "over it." It brings up bad memories of childhood Mother's Days. She struggles with honoring her Mother in relation to the memories she'd like to forget. Mother's Day is painful for her.

For many years I have been in church on Mother's Day. Each time all the Moms get recognized, sometimes with gifts. It's a sweet gesture really but perhaps insensitive to others in the room.
  • The older women who have never been married or bore children of their own.
  • Young women who are desperate to find the right man and start a family.
  • Married women who can't seem to conceive despite their strong desire and effort.
  • Men and women whose mothers have already breathed their last breath on Earth.
  • Anyone who has been let down or wounded by their Mother, unrealistic expectations or not.
  • Children who miss their Mom because she has abandoned them, passed away or must share her children half the time.
If you find yourself up there, I'm thinking about you today. And I want to say I'm so sorry for your pain and longing. I wish it could be a carefree, happy day of celebrating for you. Maybe one day it will be. But even if it isn't, can I share something precious with you?

God has a maternal side. Did you know that? He gets you.

Here's how I know:

- God speaking, "As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you." Isa. 66:13

- God is like a mother eagle hovering over her young. Deuteronomy 32:11

- God experiences the fury of a mother bear robbed of her cubs. Hosea 13:8

- God speaking, “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has born? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” Isa. 49:15

- Jesus speaking, "How often have I longed to gather your children together as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings." Matt. 23:37

Isn't that beautiful? Have you ever considered that He is able to mother you? He is not a woman or a female, but both men and women are created in God's image. Naturally then we can assume that He is able to relate to us both as Father and Mother. Consider how Pastor Eric D. Naus describes this:

 "...when we think of God’s love for those who are reconciled to him in Jesus, we not only think of a strong, protective and wise father, but we can also bask in his tender, nurturing, comforting care seen most beautifully in a mother’s love for her child.  What a dynamic God we worship!"*

Sometimes when I'm especially hurting, empty, weak, I imagine myself crawling up in His lap like I'm sure I used to do with my mom and definitely experienced with each of my kids. I allow Him to love, comfort, forgive, defend and reassure me, just like I have joyfully done for my own children so many times. Because facts are facts, this is the relationship He wants with us. He is the best parent ever. My mild attempts at mothering pale in comparison to what He longs to demonstrate to us.

If you're in pain or longing this weekend and dreading Mother's Day, if you're a mom or if you are not, I invite you to meditate on the truths from Scripture above and rest in them. Print them out and crawl in His lap. He's got time for you. All the time you need.

God can meet all your emotional needs (both adult and child-like) and heal your broken heart by filling it with His strong, soothing, comforting, all-consuming love if you let Him. I hope you do.

Knowing this, I wonder if Mother's Day will take on a new depth for you and for me.


*from Crossroads Blog.  You can read the whole article here.

No comments: