Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Best News For Every Woman

I've mentioned a few times here that I love reading the Gospels in readiness for Easter. I never, ever get tired of how Jesus treated and spoke to women. I know there are some out there who resist church because somewhere along the way they believed the lie that God is harsh, impossible to please and elevates males over females. Perhaps because they've been treated by men as less than.

Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, back in Bible times, many men believed that too and disrespected women as such. But then. Jesus.

I picked up a new book a few weeks ago because, well, look at that cover. 
I finished it yesterday. The last chapter blew me away. I can't possibly keep it to myself and it's why I write today. Here is some of it:

"In an ancient world, where many disregarded the testimony of women, Jesus' high regard for them bordered on scandalous. (Oh, don't you love that word?!) Remember, God saw fit that the first eyes to behold the risen Jesus were those of a woman - all during an era where a woman's testimony had no credibility in a court of law.

Women, therefore, were the first evangelists.

The only way a man can discover how to treat a woman is by looking at how Jesus interacted with them. Your Lord was the defender of women.

He stepped in to save a broken, scandalized woman from the murderous plot of a group of self-righteous men. He lifted the weight of her shame, writing a new destiny for her in the dirt.

He saw value in an "unclean" Samaritan woman who was disregarded, despised, and viewed as damaged goods.

He honored a prostitute in the house of a Pharisee.

He healed a pariah woman whose flow of blood excommunicated her.

He exalted a woman who anointed Him for burial by commissioning her story to be rehearsed wherever the gospel message was heard.

He never talked down to a woman, but made them heroes in His parables.

And that for which Jesus came to die was a woman...His woman, the very bride of Christ.

Put simply, your Lord is in the business of loving, honoring and defending women. And God chose the womb of a woman to enter this world.

Whether you are a woman or a man, Jesus Christ is the greatest lover in the universe. And He wishes to love, defend, honor, and cherish you."
I mean, wow.  Obviously I recommend this book. I recommend Jesus.

Please allow me to take a minute and address the few brave men who read this blog (including my sons). I hope you follow Jesus' example in how you treat all the women in your life. All of them. No matter what.

As for all you girlfriends, if you haven't yet, I hope you will accept the above quote as complete truth - and receive it like it is for you. Read the Bible and see for yourself. It's all in there. You will find no greater love on Earth than what God the Father and Jesus His Son feel for you. So much that Jesus came, suffered, died and rose again so that you can know it.

Makes Easter take on a deeper significance, doesn't it? He loves you so, so much. Don't minimize or forget it.


 
Quotes from The Day I Met Jesus by Frank Viola and Mary DeMuth pgs.183-185
(bold and parenthesis mine)

1 comment:

Mary DeMuth said...

So grateful you enjoyed the book!