Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Kids Are On To Us

So the weekend is over and the boys have gone back to school.  No worries.  I'm not sad this time.  I promise I won't be sniveling or whining in this post.

You probably know Ben was in town with the Word of Life Bible Institute basketball team to play in a tournament at Davis College.  As it turns out, Drew does know what's good for him because he did in fact skip two days of classes and came home as well.  I was one happy mama.  I mean, look at those faces.
Three of Ben's teammates also stayed with us, while the rest of the team and coaches lodged with some generous, wonderful, fun friends of ours.  You know who you are and that we think you're awesome. Of course, this means there was plenty of food in the house and even some cookies for the fans.

The WOLBI guys won one game and lost two, and we watched many more.  It was fun to watch Ben play.  He had some really good moments.  One of my favorites was the 3-point contest his coach signed him up for.  Ben is not really a 3's shooter, although whenever he makes one and we congratulate him, he always retorts, 'I can shoot 3's you know".  Oops.

During the contest two shooters competed at the same time, one at each basket.  Each had one minute to get in as many as they can.  The funny part is that when they finally got to Ben, they discovered they had an uneven number which would make him the last shooter of the night.  It also meant that every eye in the gym was on Ben. Many cheered him by name.  We totally cracked us up as that is not his gig.  Any of it.  He was a good sport but sadly did not win the contest.

Much to my surprise, we got a little time for all of us to spend together outside of the gym and without the team.  We learned something very interesting that had not yet been realized.  Our kids are figuring us out. It went like this. The last night, I made a simple remark to Ally about her ipod. Out of nowhere, Drew speaks up.

"Ally, did you notice how mom gives her commands in the form of a suggestion?  Like just then when she said, 'Ally, I think you've been on that thing long enough for today'?  What she really means is, 'Get off the ipod....now!'"

The kids fall down laughing. I stare down the blonde kid.

A few minutes later I innocently made another....let's call it.....observation.  The firstborn is on a roll and doesn't miss a beat.  "See?  She did it again.  Mom comes in the room and says, 'That tv is kind of loud, isn't it?', when she really means, 'TURN THAT TV DOWN RIGHT NOW.'"

Now Scott is laughing. I do what all mature mothers do, I ignore all of them.  Then the one with the smile dares say in is teasing voice, "What's the matter, Mom, we got your number?"  I don't know where he gets this from.

Soon after, we heeded the coach's instruction and sent the guys to bed at a decent hour.  What happened next couldn't have been scripted.  All three of our kids congregated in our room (like in younger days - sniff sniff).  They were all over the bed, between Scott and me or right next to it.  They amused themselves by making fun of each other, then they made fun of Scott, which was hilarious, and then they made fun of me.  Not so funny.  Yet all five of us were cracking up, revisiting old family jokes and all sorts of familiarity.
It was like time stopped.  I was so fully present and totally happy.  I was whispering my thanks to God for this family and for this moment.  I know it was a gift from Him - a bright spot in a long, rather cloudy winter...figuratively speaking.  Sometimes when we are feeling poor, God shows us in living color how rich we really are.

I so wish I had a picture of all their faces and placement around the room but some things need to be appreciated without interruption, unphotographed.  When Drew, Ben and Ally eventually said goodnight and left us, I took Scott's hand under the covers and croaked, "THAT was the highlight of the weekend."  He squeezed.

You see, our status quo is changing in a few months when the five will become six.  It's a change we look forward to.  Because of that, I know these moments of just the original Scott Burtis's, this way, are drawing to a close.  I cherish each one.

Even if they have figured out (one of) our parental persuasion techniques. Hey, at least it took 22 years.  (As far as I know.)  And here I thought they weren't paying attention.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How can you bring me from giggles to tears in just a sentence. xoxo

"but some things need to be appreciated without interruption, unphotographed."

Weirdest thing you have ever typed. (but secretly I totally get it and have a bunch of those moments burned in my head and heart to cherish forever.