Friday, May 3, 2013

A Good Parenting Day

You've heard me say parenting isn't for wimps.  It is so true.  There are days when you want to throw in the towel, pull your hair out, or just hide in your bathroom.  There are days when you're frustrated, disappointed and embarassed.

In light of that reality, the purpose of this post is to remind you that good parenting days happen too.  Like when your child works hard to conquer a weakness, does something you encouraged them to do (but never checked on) and is recognized for wise choices causing your heart to swell up with pride (the good kind) and gratitude.  They really do happen!  And if you haven't had one in a while, I want to encourage you to hold on, don't quit, keep being the parent....your hard work and perseverance will be rewarded.

I must say that rarely does each child shine on the same day, but today was one of those days for the Burtis family.

 We got a letter in the mail two weeks ago from our firstborn's college inviting us to attend chapel today because he would be receiving a monetary award that he did not know about.


As Scott and I were trying to get Ben and Ally off to school and on the road on time, Ben came to me and announced, "Mom, you'll be glad to know I am approaching number 1,000 in my journal."  Some time ago I asked all three of my kids to adopt this discipline of daily recording gifts, something(s) that they are grateful for.

Occasionally, I ask each how they're doing in their journal and usually just get no eye contact and some sort of inaudible groaning.  So, this was amazing!  He will likely hit 1,000 tomorrow.  One of the reasons I've invited the kids to this practice is so that they will not be prone to complaining.  It is impossible to be give thanks to the greatest Gift Giver and complaints at the same time.  Gratitude changes hearts.  I see that it's working.





Then as we zoomed an hour south, I got two texts from Ally:  "Mom, I got a 95 on my Global test!" - 20 minutes later - "Mom, I got an 87 on my English project."  Without elaborating much, this is a BIG DEAL.  Clearly, she has put her nose to the grindstone and worked hard like we KNEW SHE COULD.

Did I mention some parental pressure (like removing electronics and some friend time) was applied? Tough times call for tough decisions.




We then snuck on campus hoping to stay hidden until Drew received the award.  No such luck.  He saw us in the parking lot and greeted us with a big smile and hugs.  I think he figured out then why we were there.  Still, we all pretended there was no particular reason.

There's something special about hearing your son's name and watching him cross the stage to receive a scholarship from the college president for choosing full-time ministry as his career path - just like his Dad.  Oh, this is pure joy.



Because I'm a gift giver at heart, there must be rewards, so.....since we were in Clarks Summit, PA....we made a stop here.

At the end of the day, picture us both with hands high in the air, "Yessssss!"  And our hearts are full of thanksgiving to God who gave us a most glorious day.  It was worth all the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days in the last 21 years. 

1 comment:

Heather said...

I can so "hear" your happiness. Love you Burts to the moon and back. xoxo