Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Looking for a Great Book? I've Got a Suggestion....

Hey all my reader friends,

I just read another great book and as usual, can't keep it to myself.  My awesome gift-giving husband gave me this book for Christmas.  I picked it up a week or so ago and finished it this morning.  I loved it!  Scott always knows how to make the perfect selection for me.

Kisses from Katie (by Katie Davis) is a modern-day missionary biography.  Some of you know how I feel about a well-written missionary biography.  I can't get enough!  They challenge me to see the world and my world through God's eyes and probe to see if I'm truly living out the purpose He created me for. Sometimes we can get caught up in our own American (Western) lifestyles and forget that there is a world out there very different from our own. People living (or barely living) with needs much greater than our own.  And there are devoted Christ-followers who have surrendered "the good life" to lead THE GOOD LIFE.  I love reading their stories.  I love their courage.  I love how God uses them.  I love how they love God.

In my humble opinion, we all need to pick up a missionary biography once or twice a year and experience someone else's purpose-driven life, which is often so very different from ours.  I find these inspiring and attitude-adjusting when I feel like feeling sorry for myself or wishing for something else I don't currently have.

What makes this book so amazing is that Katie is a 22 year old girl from an affluent family in the U.S.A. who KNEW God's plan for her from when she was 17 and went after it - with little to no support from her family.  She went to Uganda fresh out of high school and has only made brief visits back home since.  She has totally surrendered her own desires for life to God.  Amazing!  She has/is adopting 13 young girls and takes care of hundreds more in a local school.  She feeds them, reads to them, tells them about Jesus, performs minor surgeries, bathes them, cares for them and so much more with pure grace and humility.  She is mature beyond her years yet unassuming. She, just one teenage girl, is making a difference!

What I especially want to suggest is that you moms read it - then give it to your pre-teen/teenage daughters. I wish I could lend you my copy, but Ally will be starting it tonight!  :)  In a world of confusion over how to "find God's will for my life" and being given so many choices for self-fulfillment, this just might tug their hearts toward a simpler decision of just listening to God and doing what He asks of them and making a difference in their generation!

Get this book!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I put this on my "to read" list and forgot about it. :oP Off to order it.