Sunday, October 21, 2007

Happy

It's 8:15 and the kids are in bed reading. We've had quite a week. Missions Conference at church. This means getting the kids home from school, homework done, throw food at them (not usually the healthy kind), rush off to church for a meeting and late bedtimes. Every night for a week. We all love it! A different missionary(ies) speaks and presents what they are doing for God somewhere in the world.

It's a rewarding time for meeting wonderful servants of Christ. Today was a highlight - which is fitting since it was the last day. Friday night I was given the opportunity of having 3 missionaries for dinner after church. Not usually a big deal except that Sundays are a little tricky for us as we have many responsibilities. Still, I won't turn a missionary down.

Add to the meal preparation - extra guests. My boys two special friends from nearby were here for a visit. And we invited a favorite couple from church. Along with my 5 - that makes twelve. I was a little stressed about having enough food, making sure it was ready within a reasonable time of their arrival, etc. etc.

Surprisingly, I was at ease as soon as the house was full. We stood around the island in the kitchen. Everyone had a glass in their hands and we decided to go around introducing ourselves so everyone knew everyone. As I listened to each one (especially all the kids), a certain happiness came over me. I gazed at each one and found myself thankful. Thankful for my family. Thankful for the two boys I'd love to adopt. Thankful for the couple we looooove so dearly. And thankful for three missionaries I was beginning to know. Thankful we were all together in my kitchen. Yup. This is what it's all about.

I'm glad I said yes to the opportunity. I'm glad I didn't give in to the fear of "too many people not enough food". Or the stress of the end of a long week, kids who had to do homework and the daydream of a Sunday nap. We enjoyed the conversation and company immensely. I thank God for the body of Christ and for good old fashioned home hospitality. I'm happy!

No comments: