Saturday, September 19, 2015

Would You Like An Adirondack Latte?

It's been another beautiful week here on Lake Pleasant. I wonder if it's ever going to rain. Perhaps God is planning to give us a record breaking season of snow to replenish the lakes and streams. That would be ok with me. The leaves are just starting to change colors. I'll keep you posted on their progress.

Ally, of course, has been gone to Word of Life for ten days now, but only in a temporary dorm as she was there early to try out for the volleyball team (which she made - yay!). So we loaded up her stuff and got her all settled in the room she'll be in until June. It was fun and I was chuckling when she gave Scott this job. She is her mother's daughter. 
It's been another fun week of new discoveries. We finally had an opportunity to go to church here in town. After which, our young co-workers invited us to brunch at none other than my favorite coffee shop. We had a good time hanging out with them.

One day the Director of Housekeeping asked me to come to one of the rooms in the building I work in (picture hotel rooms). When I arrived, two of his staff were also there trying to choose a pattern for new bedspreads and asked my opinion. How fun! Have I mentioned how much I love my job?

Later in the week as work was winding down our new friends asked, "Are you coming to Taco Thursday tonight?" Which of course begs the question, "What's Taco Thursday?"

So I guess all the cool kids go to Oak Mountain, a ski lodge here in town for $1.29 tacos. Since I still haven't moved my kitchen here, it sounded good to us. In an effort to make good on my empty nest pledge that Scott and I become more active, I suggested we walk. Some of the girls said it was probably about a mile and a half. I think that's a reasonable distance for a yummy dinner. So four of us headed out on a beautiful trail I had not seen yet and plan to visit as the foliage turns and later when it's a snowy trail.

Here's the stats: 1.38 miles up, 2 miles down when you choose the path through town. The tacos were pretty good too. Except, note to self, they are small and three are not going to cut it for an entire meal for hungry hikers, especially after walking uphill to get there. But, still, we walked UP A MOUNTAIN for our supper. How cool is that? The company was enjoyable too. It's so nice of these kids to feel sorry for us old folks and ask us to join them.

Just last night this little message was on Scott's board in his office.
Aren't they adorable thinking we stay up that late? I wonder how fun it was.

One of us had a brilliant idea this week. I'm not going to say who. But I will say it resulted in a bit of a schedule change for me. On Fridays, the day groups come, instead of me working 8am-4pm while Scott works 8am-10pm, I am starting to work 12pm-8pm. This way I can be here when they all start to arrive in late afternoon and early evening, because this is when the fun starts. Not to mention that I get to work more with Scott and not hang back in our room by myself all night.

Did you notice the other awesome treat? I get Friday mornings off! Since I don't sleep past 6am ever - that's a long time! Yesterday was Friday. I found another coffee shop to hang out in. My first favorite has moved to "winter hours" which basically means, "We open when we feel like it. Try and figure it out." This will take some time, I think.

Anyway, as I perused the menu, which is delightful to understate it. I asked my server for her recommendation. "Have you tried our Adirondack latte?"
A what? Sounded like something I need to have. "What makes it Adirondack?"
"We make it with real maple syrup."
"Oh my word. Yes. Yes, I'll have one."
Far be it from me not to fully engage in my new surroundings.
I was not disappointed. Next, I learned all the foods and baked goods are homemade. Uh-oh.
ham and pineapple quiche
cranberry almond scone
If all this wasn't marvelous enough, while I was enjoying my breakfast, I could swear I heard the sweet sound of Karen Carpenter's voice, then Barry Manilow. What is this place? A gift, a new place I want to spend time at, that's what it is.

And the best part - it wasn't long before a woman came up to my table and introduced herself. She said, "You must be the new Registrar at Camp of the Woods. I've heard about you and your husband and am so pleased to meet you." Small town, baby. How charming.

When I finally dragged myself out of there so some tourists could have a seat, I discovered the dense fog had burned off and it was a gorgeous morning. So I quickly got my Bible and journal and headed to the empty beach.

I sat there with God for two hours. That's right - two hours. It was glorious. Will I ever tire of this sight?


I tell you, I am a slave to the long quiet time. The more time the better. It's not as easy to come by now that I work full time but I'm not giving up! I really need that slow, unhurried block of time to wholeheartedly listen and pray.

Creativity starts flowing the longer I am still. I get new ideas. I want to try stuff out. Usually on my kids. Some of that is coming their way soon.

More time, means more people come to mind to pray for. Especially the ones who are really hurting or sick. As I thumbed through my Bible, something fell out.

A while ago, on an index card, I had written out the very familiar Psalm 23 and plunked my name and the Lord's in every time there was a personal pronoun. It looked something like this.

The Lord is Angela's shepherd; Angela shall not want.
The Lord makes Angela lie down in green pastures.
The Lord leads Angela beside still waters.
The Lord restores Angela's soul.
The Lord leads Angela in paths of righteousness for the Lord's name's sake.

Even though Angela walks through the valley of the shadow of death, Angela will fear no evil, for the Lord is with Angela; The Lord's rod and the Lord's staff, they comfort Angela.

The Lord prepares a table before Angela in the presence of Angela's enemies; The Lord anoints Angela's head with oil; Angela's cup overflows. 

Surely goodness and mercy will follow Angela all the days of Angela's life, and Angela shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I read it aloud many times, until it stuck and comforted me. I'm glad I kept it and know I need to pass it on. I typed it all out for a friend of mine today with her name inserted and sent it to her. She responded that she loved seeing her name in that comforting passage. Maybe you would too.

And that's how I will leave you today. With homework! I want you to get out your own Psalm 23 and put your name in every slot. Read it until it works. Be sure and read it out loud. It makes a difference. I promise it will.

I'll make it easy for you. 

The Lord is ________'s shepherd; ________ shall not want.
The Lord makes _________ lie down in green pastures.
The Lord leads _________ beside still waters.
The Lord restores _________'s soul.
The Lord leads _________ in paths of righteousness for the Lord's name's sake.

Even though _________ walks through the valley of the shadow of death, ________ will fear no evil, for the Lord is with _______; The Lord's rod and the Lord's staff, they comfort ________.

The Lord prepares a table before _______ in the presence of ________'s enemies; The Lord anoints _______'s head with oil; ________'s cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy will follow ________ all the days of ______'s life, and _______ shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Now exhale and believe it. Repeat often. Know you are so loved.

No comments: