Wednesday, September 28, 2016

An Opportunity to Say Thank You

For our days off this week we left town for a quick overnight. Our new friend who I wrote about a few weeks ago is in a play in Lincoln, New Hampshire. She invited us to come and I didn't want to miss it. So Scott and I took a Sunday drive through New York and Vermont. We are surrounded by mountains, people.

Since the play didnt start until 2pm, sightseeing was on the agenda first thing. Cannon Mountain our destination.  See that tiny spot way up there in the sky? Yes indeedy, we went there. 4,100 feet. Have I ever mentioned I don't really like heights? Yeah, I don't. But I do want to see splendor, so up we went.

I'd like you to imagine we hiked all the way up, but I think we all know better than that. Why would we want to risk sweating or worse, injury when a perfectly awesome tram runs to the top every fifteen minutes?
Yes, I have mittens on (so glad they were still in the pockets from last winter). We woke up to frost on the car and it was 39 degrees at the top of the mountain.  I liked it.
 New Hampshire, you don't disappoint.
Scott learned from a fellow passenger that we could see New Hampshire, Maine, Canada, Vermont and New York from where we stood. And it was glorious.
 
I was quite taken with the sight of the tops of the trees. The tops of the trees that tower over us. I couldn't help but draw the parallel that from God's viewpoint, what is huge and scary to me is small and manageable to Him. Everything.
 And the little trees. So cute! We mused that all the trees should  have white lights on them.
We hiked around the rim for better views. The path was lined with evergreens.
 It unmistakeably smelled like Christmas. My heart was so happy.
 It was a beautiful day in so many ways. Our girl here is not just a terrific tour guide and finder of the best food for us, but she's a wonderful actress. I even cried a little when her character died. What a treat to spend more time with her while she's nearby.
Speaking of heights, this is the Quechee Gorge in Vermont. We stopped for a quick look on our way home. We were at street level here. Yikes!
That's a lot of height. I was a little queasy to tell the truth.
 Oh one other little thing happened. I almost forgot to mention it. At the theater, we were privileged to meet an amazing woman whose family we've admired from afar for years. No, it's not Betty White or Mrs. Claus. Yes, a few of my friends guessed this.
Mrs. Barbara Bush, once First Lady of the United States of America, was in the audience to watch her daughter-in-law perform. We had a heads up that she would be there but didn't think access would be so easy.

Oh how I hate to stalk, but well, there she was. So beautiful. I asked if we could talk to her. She said, "Of course" and motioned us closer.

It went like this:

"Your husband is the first President I voted for."
She smiled warmly and thanked me.

"I read your memoir. It is still the biggest book I've ever read." (I shared one of my favorite stories from it here.)

BB: She confirmed the story and said, "You're a reader."
 
"Yes ma'am. I also read your son's book about your husband and absolutely loved it."

BB: "It's a love story, you know."

"I know! I was hooked from the first page. I believe there is no one alive today who is more qualified to be President than your husband. He's an amazing man."

BB: "He is still a wonderful man. He couldn't be here today. But he is the most kind and gracious person I know - and that's after 60 years of marriage!" I think she slapped her knee and laughed. (She told a cute story about President Bush here.)

"I'm sorry he wasn't re-elected. He should have been."

BB: "Oh, don't cry over spilt milk. It wasn't meant to be. We've had a very good life."
Mrs. Bush deflected compliments humbly.  What a refreshing response.

Eventually (because we may or may not have been monopolizing this dear lady), Scott and I thanked her for her family's service to our country and asked for a picture. She not only agreed, but her people got up from their seats for us and took our phones at her direction to take the shot.

What a gracious, beautiful soul. She was much tinier and frail than I expected, but absolutely stunning with her BIG white Texas hair. What a thrill for us.

Who could have magined meeting a First Lady in a small theater in New Hampshire? Later when I had time to reflect on the exhange, I wish I had also said:

"I know for a man to achieve such greatness, his wife has a lot to do with it. Thank you for all the sacrifices and contributions you also made."

"Thank you for being an excellent, honorable role model for women. You're one of the best. These days, someone like you is hard to find."

"Who are you going to vote for in November?"

Ah, I kid. I wouldn't have.

Just a PS for my kids who may be reading....THIS is another reason why you must READ books. All kinds! Especially biographies of greats. Remember, how I told you reading makes you an interesting conversationalist? See how it comes in handy when you least expect it?

Listen to your Mama.

No comments: